vs DPP4i & Other SGLT2i
Invokana vs sitagliptin (DPP4 inhibitor)
- Invokana is the only SGLT2 inhibitor with a proven efficacy profile vs sitagliptin, a DPP4 inhibitor, in dual therapy with metformin and triple therapy with metformin and sulphonylurea. 1,2
Invokana vs other SGLT2 inhibitors
- Although no head to head studies of SGLT2 inhibitors have been completed, network meta-analyses (NMAs) allow indirect comparisons to be made:
Reduction in HbA1c with SGLT2i’s, metformin, DPP4i’s and sulphonylureas vs placebo 7
- Head to head studies are not available for all drug combinations, network meta-analyses (NMA) allow indirect treatment comparisons to be made.
Adapted from Zaccardi F et al. 2016 7
Methodology: In an independent NMA using a frequentist model, pairwise random-effects analyses were performed to estimate study variance.
The aim of this NMA, which reviewed 38 trials involving 23,997 patients, was to assess the comparative safety and efﬁcacy of SGLT2i’s in adults with T2DM.
- Lavalle-González FJ et al. Diabetologia 2013;56(12):2582-92
- Evans M et al. Cost of glycaemic target achievement with sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors in patients with type 2 diabetes in the UK. Diabetes Ther 2017;8(5):1175-1185
- Schroeder M et al. A network meta-analysis to assess options for treatment intensification for patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on dual therapy. Poster presented at EASD, September 14–18, 2015. Stockholm, Sweden
- Empagliflozin Summary of Product Characteristics. Boehringer Ingelheim, 2018
- Dapagliflozin Summary of Product Characteristics. AstraZeneca, 2018
- Invokana Summary of Product Characteristics. Napp Pharmaceuticals, 2018
- Zaccardi F et al. Diabetes Obes Metab 2016;18(8):783–794